SGA Treasurer Candidate: Jeremi Moore

Camille Zanders, Alumni Connection Editor

As the time nears for the Student Government Association (SGA) elections, the students of the Hornet’s Nest are faced with the decision of choosing an official to run the financial department, also known as a treasurer. Three candidates are running to become treasurer for the 2021-2022 academic year, one of those candidates being the current treasurer Jeremi Moore. Though he is proud of the work that he has accomplished during this current academic year, he is excited for the possibility of serving a term during the post-COVID era. Hoping to put into place initiatives that promote school pride, he believes that his experience in the position makes him the best man for the job.

Being a native to Montgomery, Alabama, Moore was raised by his mother, Lashundra Moore-Hawkins, along with his two sisters. As a child, he possessed a studious nature and took on reading as his favorite hobby. Studying the words of some of the world’s strongest leaders, he says, “If I had to choose my all-time best read it would be Barack Obama’s The Audacity of Hope’” Moore attended Park Crossing High School, it is here that he gained his first political experience. In his final year, he served as senior class president but, considering it was only high school, he was not able to be as progressive as he would have liked. Though he acknowledges that the position was not demanding, he still took the title seriously. “I tried to provide representation, be a good leader, and just be a good example to all.”

In 2019, Moore graduated from high school and continued his studies at the university that was near and dear to his heart. “I felt like if there was anywhere that I could go and get involved, that I would want it to be where it would not only affect the institution but also my community.” Now a sophomore at ASU, he is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in secondary education. “I would say that my passion is not for education, but is for educating,” he explains. “Everything that being an educator means pushed me toward that career field. Being able to shape peoples’ futures and instill great values into them.” With his degree, Moore hopes to go into nonprofit work and become a middle school social studies teacher.

Along with his current position as SGA treasurer, he also actively participates in Collegiate 100, NAACP, the Beta Upsilon Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., Student Orientation Services, and College Dems. While Moore acknowledges the importance of all of his organizations, he holds his work with SGA and with Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. most dearly. He enjoys the community service opportunities that the fraternity provides but is most proud of his work this past year as SGA treasurer in which he combated the demands of the pandemic. He says, “That was a unique experience that I believe we handled efficiently and effectively.”

From his past year as treasurer, he has learned several things about the university itself, how the SGA is run, and about the students. His biggest takeaway from this experience is that there is much more hard work to be done in order to bring “O’ Mother Dear” to her greatest glory. He says, “It takes consistency and persistence to bring about true change.” While he took this past year to observe and maintain, he plans to work progressively during the next. He quotes, “Barack Obama once said, ‘Real change starts from the ground up.’ So it is doing all the little things to start the change and then building off that to accomplish the bigger goals.”

Excited for the upcoming academic year, Moore has decided to run for treasurer because he believes that the students of ASU deserve to have a strong leader in every area of the student-run government. While he is confident in the potential of all candidates of the other electoral races, he believes he is the best option for the position of treasurer. “We need a treasurer that is going to do more than just focus on the financial aspect but rather focus on combating student problems,” he expresses. “We need to be here continuing to learn, continuing to work for students, and continuing to do the best job in the treasurer position.” With the help of his campaign manager, Khalil Watts, he plans to do just that.

If Moore were to be reelected, his plans for the first 30 days of his term are to inspect the expected budget for the 2021-2022 academic year and create a priority task list to present to the Hornet administration. He shares, “We already know the problems that students face. Now it is about putting together a tentative plan to address those problems.” Of that list, he hopes to initially solve the commonly complained issue of unnecessary student fees. “We cannot have a year where all of these excessive fees are rolling out,” he says. Moore also plans to add technological reform to the list, as he hopes to work with the Office of Technical Support to ensure that the Wi-Fi, computers, and other technology are working smoothly throughout campus. “We need to make sure everything is in place and working correctly before students return.”

Regarding his long-term goals, he hopes to start a “Comm.university” committee within SGA that would promote community service amongst the campus, and also continuing the university’s ‘Hustle and Flow’ Fridays, the weekly event that showcases the entrepreneurs of Hornet Nation. Moore says, “I actually want to expand that to having a section with the SGA secretary and have her monthly newsletters spotlight the businesses that show up.”

The creation of the “Comm.university” committee is his truest goal. Moore insists, “MLK once said, ‘Life’s most persistent and urgent questions is: ‘What are you doing for others?’” He believes that the committee would not only work to promote university morale but also provide students the opportunity to build lasting relationships and connections within the Montgomery and ASU alumni communities. “That is vitally crucial for getting students the opportunity to volunteer even more, outside of what our current organization is doing as well. And just giving back is important in itself.”

Considering he is already familiar with the university budgets; he believes that it would benefit SGA greatly to be given a bigger slice of the pie. Moore jokes, “Hey, a millionaire always wants another million!” Despite his humorous tone, he genuinely believes that an increased stipend would allow SGA to cater to more of the students’ wants. “It has to be used for students’ needs and working to improve the student experience,” he explains. “We have to look at the interactive programming and find ways to keep students engaged, keep them aware, and to make sure that they are having a good time. That is how you combat retention, by providing a good experience.”

In order to learn the wants and needs of the students, Moore plans to continue a practice that he already partakes in, getting out and talking to his fellow Hornets. He believes that there is no way to lead the student population, without learning and being an active part of that population. From this approach, he not only learns the wants of the students but also builds trust between the students and their government, which serves as a bridge to the university administration. With those simple conversations with his fellow Hornets, Moore works to fulfill the true mission of SGA.

From his past work, and hopefully future work, he wants to leave an impact of unity and Hornet pride on the ASU campus. While he worked to maintain the university’s morale during the trials of the pandemic in his previous term, he wishes to bring new opportunities and optimism to the next. Confident in his experience and innate leadership skills, Moore is hopeful that he is the missing piece that will fill the SGA’s complex puzzle.